Tuesday, March 29, 2011

the epitome of a teacher

I have two older sisters. One is a kindergarten teacher.

All bias-ness aside, I have never experienced such a phenomenal teacher and a blessing. She puts herself last in respect to her students and no matter what, loves the children she's been given and pursues their hearts and minds with fervor, compassion, and love.

I have never met someone with a heart quite like hers. As my sister, I know her quite well. Spending the majority of your life sharing a bathroom with someone you get to know them fairly well. And when they let you sleep in their bed with them until a ridiculous age, because of your personal insecurities, you get to know them even better. She can be a spit fire. She can burst into song. She can be bossy because that's the way God made her. And as a younger sister, there were plenty of times that I didn't understand or appreciate those good qualities in her. But I realize now, those are the perfect qualities of a kindergarten teacher. Are they not?

Mel, I know that the past few weeks have been really rough. You have been doing a phenomenal job on your first year. I simply want to reach out for a minute to say I love you, keep it up, and the best is yet to come. I know the uncertainty of life is breaking your heart. I know there have been plenty of things pulling at you, testing your heart and spirit in every facet of your life. But you, my sister, have been created for such a rare and special reason. You have qualities that outweigh many others. You have compassion that transcends any heart ache. You have endurance that knows no bounds. You have a way of loving little ones that is restorative and many wish they knew. God created you in such a specific and majestic manner. You are fearfully and wonderfully made. Even though you don't know what lies ahead for this part of your life and feel just so uncertain, don't you forget that He knows exactly what He is doing.

Even in the moments where you can't imagine it going well or working out, it always does and always will. Why? Because you know the God of creation who establishes your steps. The same God who commands the morning and causes the dawn to know its place knows the plans He has for you. And without a shadow of a doubt cares deeply for His daughter.

Even now, you set examples for me in life. You show how to trust and obey and how to praise Him even in moments of weakness. I love you so dearly. Please come over soon and hang out with me.


P.S. you still have my nail polish.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree, Loren. Great post!